1. Alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime causes frequent awakenings and arousals, which will rob you of your deep sleep making you wake up tired, achy, and grumpy the next day.
2. Decreasing level of alcohol causes a state of hyper-arousal leading to an early morning awakening.
3. Alcohol relaxes upper airway muscles making your snoring and sleep apnea worse.
4. Alcohol, being a diuretic, causes frequent nighttime urination thereby robing you of your deep sleep further by sleep disruption.
5. Alcohol relaxes upper esophageal sphincter (a tight band of muscles at the upper end of our food pipe) thereby making acid reflux worse which further interrupts our sleep.
Hence, enjoy a glass of Malbec at 5 PM and then sleep sound from 10 PM to 6 AM.
Sleep Well, Lead Well.
Remember always to drink responsibly. Always designate a driver.