1. Pay up your sleep debt before making any long-term career and financial decisions as sleep debt and resultant suboptimal alertness impairs our decision-making. This weekend, catch up on your sleep by sleeping in.
2. We all know, Steve, that you are a funny, lively, and humorous person, but do remember that sleep deprivation makes us grumpy, nervous, and irritable. This may rob your ability to enjoy your birthday. Be cognizant of this, and keep smiling!
3. You, like most of us do on our birthdays, must be counting your blessings and taking a stock of your life and career. Remember that sleep debt impairs our information recollection. To fight this, pull out old photo albums and look at those pictures and relive those wonderful moments.
4. I know that you are passionate about humanity and pubic service. Studies, however, have shown that sleep debt does impair our selflessness and big-picture skills. To counteract this, read a book about Gandhi, Lincoln, Mother Teresa, or His Holiness Dalai Lama.
5. This Sunday morning, pray, meditate, talk to your spiritual mentor, and after a nice walk in the wilderness, make a resolution.
We share a birthday, Steve, hence, I too am going to follow these tips!
Have a blessed new year of life. Let us smile and serve!