Want safer, happier, healthier, and smarter teens? Set bedtimes.
A study from Flinders University of South Australia published in this month’s issue of journal Sleep shows that teens with parent-set bedtimes had earlier bedtimes, obtained more sleep, and experienced improved daytime wakefulness and less fatigue. Here are the top five reasons why you should set bedtimes for your teens this Summer.
1. Sufficient sleep improves memory consolidation. Your teen’s preparation for PSAT, SAT, or ACT would result in better scores.
2. Sound sleep improves reaction time and vigilance. Their performance in competitive sports will improve remarkably.
3. Your teens’ pleasant demeanor and optimistic atitude will surprise you.
4. Drowsy driving kills while alert driving saves lives. Teens who get sufficient sleep are much less likely to get into an accident.
5. Sleep deprived teens are less likely to exercise and are more likely to gain excess weight.
Hence, this Summer, set bedtimes for your teens. You will be surprised how happy, healthy, safe, and smart your teens are!