Excellent article on a very important issue, Dr Breus. Here are my 5 tips for CPAP success that I stress to my patients.
1. Nose is the key to success. Make sure that you don’t have allergies and that your nasal passages are not inflamed.
2. Before you buy the mask, make sure it fits well and feels good on the face.
3. Be patient. It may take up to 6 months to get used to sleeping with CPAP.
4. If you have claustrophobia, try nasal pillows.
5. Use heated or cool mist humidifier to avoid dryness. Keep nasal saline spray (available over the counter) bedside and use it as needed.
You can also watch my video titled “How Not to Hate CPAP” on YouTube.
Do you have a question for your sleep doc? Do you have a trick that you have tried to make CPAP tolerable or even enjoyable? Shar